[MATRIX-SIG] Change slice object?

Konrad Hinsen hinsen@ibs.ibs.fr
Fri, 21 Nov 1997 19:07:04 +0100

> Also then there is no need for __getitem__ if one uses indexing. But I
> think the method is needed for the for-loop construct, right?

Right. And also for indexing with a single number, e.g. a[5].

> But in every function which deals with slicing, one can be shure to
> get only a tuple of slice objects.

True. Still it would break code that relies on the current interpretation.
It would probably break my netCDF module, for example.

> I don't see, how big the impact of this change would be to the other
> sequence objects in python.

None at all, because only arrays use multidimensional indexing and
slice objects!

> One other idea. What's the way to have a __cmp__ method for slice
> objects to test if a slice is completly in another slice or
> overlapping at both or only one end.

That could easily be done, but what would it be good for?
Konrad Hinsen                          | E-Mail: hinsen@ibs.ibs.fr
Laboratoire de Dynamique Moleculaire   | Tel.: +33-4.76.88.99.28
Institut de Biologie Structurale       | Fax:  +33-4.76.88.54.94
41, av. des Martyrs                    | Deutsch/Esperanto/English/
38027 Grenoble Cedex 1, France         | Nederlands/Francais