[MATRIX-SIG] umath.logical_blah vs normal python functions.

David J. C. Beach beach@verinet.com
Wed, 19 Nov 1997 00:36:23 -0700

Richard Jones wrote:

>     Yes, but they're different to what Python does. Well, the && case is
> different. Do we need a further umath.python_and that does what Python
> programmers expect???

A good point.  Perhaps what we really want, then, is this:

umath.bitwise_and = the C (or Python) operator, &
umath.logical_and = the Python 'and' operator

etc.

After reconsidering it, it seems that a logical_and that returns only a 0 or 1
doesn't have any significant advantages over Python's 'and', which can be used
to selectively evaluate a construct, return the truth value of the logical
and, or to selectively give a return value for the last true argument.

Dave

--
David J. C. Beach
Colorado State University