[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Numeric Python 1.0 Beta 2 is available

Jim Hugunin hugunin@mit.edu
Thu, 20 Mar 1997 15:47:30 -0500

It's time for me to step in as list moderator on this one ;-)  This
discussion should really be moved to the main python newsgroup.  I remember
being involved in a similar discussion there not too long ago where I was
convinced that scanning directories recursively was a terrible idea, but I
can't recall the exact reasons any more.  I think that there are some
strange interactions with "ni" that could cause problems here...

Anyway, if any of these ideas are to succeed, they'll need the support of
the whole python community.

-Jim

PS - In the NT/95 world this problem is solved using the Registry (a
database that stores important information for each program/user).  The
installation process for any extension modules simply updates this registry
database to include its path.  Nothing quite so simple comes to mind for
Unix...