[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Re: Numeric Python 1.0 Beta 2 is available

Alan Watson alan@oldp.nmsu.edu
Wed, 19 Mar 1997 20:33:54 -0700

> If I don't hear about any serious bugs before this Friday I intend to
> announce this to the main python list

I'd like to suggest that a means to create a possibly uninitialized
array of a given shape and type should be part of the basic
functionality, rather than something people have to code in C
themselves.

Some uses of this would be creating arrays that are immediately filled
by C functions (an important special case of this is reading an array
from disk) and supporting large, sparse arrays on systems that allow
malloc() to over-commit a la Fortran.

By allowing an optional initializer, the special cases ones() and
zeros() become convenience functions.

Alan Watson