[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Plotting packages

Steve Spicklemire steve@estel.uindy.edu
Fri, 7 Mar 97 18:20:56 -0500

Hi NymPy folks,

    Jim> Recent posts have started me thinking about plotting and
    Jim> NumPy again.  This seems to be the weakest link in the
    Jim> package at the moment (since I've only been receiving minimal
    Jim> bug reports for the first beta release).  I'd really like
    Jim> people to be able to type:

    Jim> plot(sin(arange(0,5*pi,pi/10)))

    Jim> and have something reasonable happen.  While I continue to
    Jim> avow that this is not considered a basic part of NumPy, the

	I don't know if this would help at all, but I've been having
good luck using a Java/Applet based graphing. I've been using NumPy in
Physics courses since the 0.3x days. I've incorporated David A.'s
docs. At one point I melded it with my Zinc based GUI module.. but now
I'm using more 'off the shelf' technology (i.e., Java) Point your
favorite Java enabled browser to

http://estel.uindy.edu/PESSci/ph280/

and look at some of the links there. The nice thing about this approach
is that you can make the resulting 'graph' more interactive. It might be
pretty easy to come up with some applets that work nicely with NumPy, and
also allow lots of other cool stuff.

-steve