[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Plotting packages

Zane C. Motteler motteler@laura.llnl.gov
Fri, 7 Mar 97 13:26:34 PST

Jeffrey Templon said:

> I'd like to reiterate my opinion that it'd be nice to have a plot be
> an object.  This allows us to move up a notch (out of spaghetti-like
> code) and do cool things like modify existing plots:

I'd like to emphasize that my first Python interface to Narcisse and
Gist was object-oriented; only later did I add the capability of
just calling plot functions, for those old-fashioned line-oriented folks.

Just to recap my original design, it consisted of geometric objects--
Curves, Surfaces, Meshes, etc. Then there was Graph (inherited by
Graph2d and Graph3d); a graph can have one or more geometric objects.
Finally there were Plotter objects (currently in two varieties,
Narcisse and Gist). A Graph can also have one or more Plotter objects.
You then plot a graph g by giving the command g.plot(). The plot may
go to one or more windows and/or cgm, postscript, and other types of
files, depending on the Plotters which the Graph contains. Graphs
have methods to change things like limits, colors, etc. just as
Jeffrey mentioned in his note.

Cheers

Zane

Zane C. Motteler, Ph. D.                  ___________ALSO:_________________
Computer Scientist                        | Professor Emeritus of Computer|
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory    |   Science and Engineering     |
P O Box 808, L-472                        | California Polytechnic State  |
Livermore, CA 94551-9900                  |   University, San Luis Obispo |
FAX 510/423-9969
zcm@llnl.gov or motteler@laura.llnl.gov or zmottel@calpoly.edu