[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] request for idioms

David Ascher da@maigret.cog.brown.edu
Sat, 7 Jun 1997 15:08:23 -0400 (EDT)

I will be giving a tutorial on Numeric Python at SPAM-6, with Konrad
following up with a tutorial on using Python for science or something like
that.  While I have a pretty good idea about most of what I want to talk
about in the three hours, I would appreciate input for one section in
particular.  I would like to present common 'idioms' in NumPy, and my
feeling is that those idioms are very field-specific.  I've developed a
few doing my own work, but I'm sure y'all have as well.  I'm especially
interested in:

  * things you came up with which map well to constructs you were used
    to from other systems (e.g. Matlab, S, etc.).
  * things which are very python-specific
  * things which are very cool -- use your own judgment.

Obviously, there's no rush on this.  If you can just keep this in mind and
when you come up with something you'd like to share, send it my way.  I
feel that such a collection would be a good add-on for the more permanent
online tutorial as well.

If all goes well, I'll be swamped with suggestions and will have to select
among them.  I will also probably adjust them to fit within a 'story' for
didactic reasons, but I'll try to acknowledge authorship for the
non-obvious tricks.

Please try to explain what your code does in English -- remember that I
probably have a different background than you do! =)

Cheers,

--david