[MATRIX-SIG] hash() function w/ NumPy

Hoon Yoon - IPT Quant hyoon@nyptsrv1.etsd.ml.com
Fri, 25 Jul 1997 10:41:38 -0400

Hello,

  Taking a break from all the encouraging discussion about the Plots.
I am attempting to incorporate hash('STR') to an Array. Since hash turns
a String into uniq numeric sequence, I am trying to use it to sneak in
string id's into Numerical arrays. Now I know how to turn one into hash,
but how do I get it back to a string? There is supposed to be function,
but I remeber reading that I may not be able get the same string back
in reverse. If anyone remembers the function and the documentation in
Lutz or Web pages let me know. If anyone had done some of these work
already, please tip me off few tricks.
  I guess this is not exactely recommended, but I cannot think of a good
way to use strings as row and/or column headings (as a list may be). Has
anyone done this?
  Thanks much,

Hoon,