[MATRIX-SIG] Revised proposal for PLOT-SIG

Daniel Michelson Daniel.Michelson@smhi.se
Thu, 24 Jul 1997 09:01:18 +0200

Hej,

RE: the forum for PLOT-SIG

I appreciate that some members of the MATRIX-SIG are intent on
establishing the necessary logistics to allow the (rapid) creation of
Python plotting functionality. In this context, the hospitality of the
Starship has been described as being potentially more accessable than
python.org, and this task would thus be underway faster if the informal
route is taken.

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but I feel obliged to voice a
concern about the communications between Python developers and users. I
am well aware that many developers on this SIG are also users, but there
are a number of users who are not and cannot be developers but who
appreciate the ability to incorporate new Python functionality ASAP.
Needless to say, I am one of these users, and plotting abilities
directly in Python are currently prioritized. (And I am encouraged by
this PLOT-SIG initiative!)

What this all boils down to is that, regardless of the PLOT-SIG's host,
the forum should be open. Konrad mentioned that he could easily start an
open mailing list on the Starship. Others have used words like
"informal" and "unofficial". I just want to make sure that the "mailing
list" and the latter two terms are not mutually exclusive and that the
PLOT-SIG doesn't risk turning into a private club.

best, -d

|                  | Daniel B. Michelson                              |
| /\ |\  /| |  | | | Swedish Meteorological and Hydrological Institute|
| \  | \/ | |__| | | S-601 76 Norrk=F6ping, Sweden                      |=

|  \ |    | |  | | | Telephone: +46 11 - 15 84 94                     |
| \/ |    | |  | | | Telefax:   +46 11 - 17 02 07                     |
|                  | Internet:  Daniel.Michelson@smhi.se              |