[MATRIX-SIG] [long] A NO-Proposal for a plot-package

Konrad Hinsen hinsen@ibs.ibs.fr
Wed, 23 Jul 1997 11:20:26 +0200

> Just a reminder that we have a working, pretty decent 2d-3d scientific
> graphics package working with Gist (a public domain graphics engine from
> LLNL). The Python interface is object-oriented, consisting of Graph
> objects, geometric objects which can be shipped to Graph objects,
> and Plotter objects which can be used to plot them. This is pretty much

Sounds good, and could be used as a basis for other low-level plotting
output. Not that Gist isn't nice, but at the moment I won't recommend
it to anyone who might then ask me for help with installation problems ;-)

> Our distribution is available at our public ftp site ftp-icf.llnl.gov
> in /ftp/pub/python/Current_snapshot.tgz and is updated with our latest
> changes each Friday night. Available documentation leaves something to

I realize that a "one-in-all" distribution is the easiest solution for you,
but if you'd like others to use your stuff, a separate package would
be more appropriate. Not only is it tough for a non-expert to extract
the right pieces from the distribution, but there is also the technical
problem of downloading a huge file via bad network links. I tried a few
times but never succeeded...
Konrad Hinsen                          | E-Mail: hinsen@ibs.ibs.fr
Laboratoire de Dynamique Moleculaire   | Tel.: +33-4.76.88.99.28
Institut de Biologie Structurale       | Fax:  +33-4.76.88.54.94
41, av. des Martyrs                    | Deutsch/Esperanto/English/
38027 Grenoble Cedex 1, France         | Nederlands/Francais