[MATRIX-SIG] [long] A NO-Proposal for a plot-package

Konrad Hinsen hinsen@ibs.ibs.fr
Tue, 22 Jul 1997 17:05:50 +0200

> There are widespread complaints about the run-time performance of Tk
> canvases.  This figured prominently in the decision to make a seperate
> Tk-aware plotting widget in PLplot.  Besides our own experiences, I

I have heard of this problem, and I certainly don't want to prevent
better Tk-integrations for plotting. But canvases are portable and
part of every Tk implementation, i.e. the most generally available
solution. And I expect them to be fast enough for many routine tasks,
such as simple 2d line plots. So I still think there should be a driver
for them, maybe in addition to a special plotting widget.
Konrad Hinsen                          | E-Mail: hinsen@ibs.ibs.fr
Laboratoire de Dynamique Moleculaire   | Tel.: +33-4.76.88.99.28
Institut de Biologie Structurale       | Fax:  +33-4.76.88.54.94
41, av. des Martyrs                    | Deutsch/Esperanto/English/
38027 Grenoble Cedex 1, France         | Nederlands/Francais