[MATRIX-SIG] [long] A NO-Proposal for a plot-package

Zane C. Motteler motteler@laura.llnl.gov
Tue, 22 Jul 1997 07:36:57 -0700 (PDT)

Hi folks,

Just a reminder that we have a working, pretty decent 2d-3d scientific
graphics package working with Gist (a public domain graphics engine from
LLNL). The Python interface is object-oriented, consisting of Graph
objects, geometric objects which can be shipped to Graph objects,
and Plotter objects which can be used to plot them. This is pretty much
as I described in my talks at the last two Python meetings. The 3-D
graphics is much enhanced since I first talked about it at the
Washington meeting last year.

Our distribution is available at our public ftp site ftp-icf.llnl.gov
in /ftp/pub/python/Current_snapshot.tgz and is updated with our latest
changes each Friday night. Available documentation leaves something to
be desired, as our framemaker documentation has not yet been approved
for public release (but we hope it soon will be, and will be available
on the web).

I am making this reminder because I would hate to see somebody duplicate
all of my hard work. The high level graphics is intended to be
independent of the underlying graphics engine (inasmuch as possible).
One need only design an appropriate Plotter object and a Python
extension in order to expand its coverage to a new graphics engine.

Cheers

Zane

Zane C. Motteler, Ph. D.                  ___________ALSO:_________________
Computer Scientist                        | Professor Emeritus of Computer|
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory    |   Science and Engineering     |
P O Box 808, L-472                        | California Polytechnic State  |
Livermore, CA 94551-9900                  |   University, San Luis Obispo |
FAX 510/423-9969
zcm@llnl.gov or motteler@laura.llnl.gov or zmottel@calpoly.edu