[MATRIX-SIG] Much ado about nothingness.

Aaron Watters arw@dante.mh.lucent.com
Tue, 8 Jul 1997 11:52:41 -0400

Hey!  Null values!  I had a whole chapter in my
dissertation regarding nulls!

There are many kinds of nulls:

   overdefined (computation error)

[normal non-null values here] ...

    unknown/applicable        inapplicable
                 unknown/maybe-inapplicable

How a query engine or computation should handle this
depends on which one you mean.  However, in general
I think if you want to "layer" null values into a matrix you
might want to use an "indicator mask" which identifies the
null/non-null values as a separate array.

Let me know if this makes sense