[MATRIX-SIG] A proposal (LONG) - "reverse of take" revisited

Andrew P. Mullhaupt amullhau@ix.netcom.com
Tue, 01 Jul 1997 23:01:21 -0400

At 06:54 PM 7/1/97 -0700, Phil Austin wrote:

>Here's the perspective of someone who intends to teach NumPy to 3rd
>year geography majors without much exposure to computers: I would
><much> rather have the S syntax describe by PSC and APM than the
>current numeric functions.

Especially since a lot of GIS style stuff is easier to do that way, right?

>  Once the NumPy prototype code is
>available, the indexing should sell itself to members of this list and
>to the broader community.

There are two other things beyond upgraded indexing which are needed before
NumPy will take over the numerical world.

1. A decent graphics package should be glued on pretty tightly.

2. Installation must be simplified.

Then, I would agree with you - NumPy will be very, very popular.

Later,
Andrew Mullhaupt