[MATRIX-SIG] Re: Newbie Q.

Hoon Yoon - IPT Quant hyoon@nyptsrv1.etsd.ml.com
Tue, 1 Jul 1997 09:06:29 -0400

To Konrad, Andrew, and others,

   Thank you much for help. As some of you suspected, Gauss is 2D only.
   The main reason for the usage is the fact that Gauss and Ox are speed
   demons, when compared to Splus and MatLab. For further info look at:

   http://www.siu.edu/~econ/matlab.ps
   http://www.ku-eichstaett.de/docs/WWF/STA/download.htm
   These are papers written by a Professor interested in Matrix Langs.
   I confirmed that Splus at least is about 10 to 30 times slower than
   Gauss in most operations. Never did it with Mat Lab, however, according to
   the papers, don't bother trying. Splus and Mat Lab is easier and has prettier
   graphics than Gauss or Ox. Splus in particular has column headers associated
   with it's matrix, which is shadowed. The headers stays off calcs, but available
   for choosing (like dictionary indexes). This one feature I wish Python had. Well,
   at least, Python will let me do this, if I write the functions on top of math
   functions.

   FYI: OX is multidimentional and object oriented, but not Gauss (2D).
   In some tests Gauss and Ox will even outperform, decently optimized
   C code. Ox for DOS & Unix is free for academics and both of them are
   built for Econometrics. I do not consider them in a same catagory as
   Python, since they have no GUI and no generalities. Gauss's
   graphics are better than Python's in some ways right now. I would love
   to see somekind of wrapper for either in Python, since both of them will
   be comming out with a DLL for Win and Unix soon.
   **************
   One additional Q. What is the best general purpose graphics addition in
   Python. I am talking about bar/ histogram/ line/ scatter/ pie/ & may be
   even 3D surface kind of thing. PyGist is very good, I love it, but I
   had some problem dealing with the kind of minimal business graphics I had
   above. It will do line/ scatter/ 3D contour better than things I could
   buy, but not for simple Bar or Stacked Bar. Not to mention I could not
   use strings as x labels. Also, BLT extention to Tkinter seems to not quite
   kept up with Tkinter changes. My SA had problem installing it.
Thanks for the info!

Hoon,