[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Handling null data points

Konrad Hinsen hinsen@ibs.ibs.fr
Wed, 8 Jan 1997 10:23:48 +0100

> I have two numeric arrays called A and B containing some real data.
> Missing data has been replaced with a constant 'null' value of 100
>
>     A = (  20 10 100 6 )
>     B = ( 100  1   2 1 )
>
> Now if I use Python to calculate A divided by B:
>
>     C = ( 0.2 10 50 6 )
>
> But when A or B is null I would like the answer to be null:
>
>     C = ( 100 10 100 6 )

The cleanest solution to your problem would be to define a new
data type, "number with special null value", and define all
the arithmetic operations on it. You could even do that in Python,
or if speed matters as a C extension. But even with a C extension
you would not get the full speed of array operations, since your
arrays would be of "general object" type.

Konrad Hinsen                          | E-Mail: hinsen@ibs.ibs.fr
Laboratoire de Dynamique Moleculaire   | Tel.: +33-4.76.88.99.28
Institut de Biologie Structurale       | Fax:  +33-4.76.88.54.94
41, av. des Martyrs                    | Deutsch/Esperanto/English/
38027 Grenoble Cedex 1, France         | Nederlands/Francais