[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Numeric typecodes

Dale Bertrand Dale_Bertrand@brown.edu
Fri, 07 Feb 1997 20:14:56 -0500

>> I'm using a pre 1.0 version of Numeric which does seem to support all the
>> typecodes in v1.0.  For the available types for Floats are 'd' and 'f'.
>> Would someone please tell me how many bytes these use to represent floating
>> point data?
>
>Same as the underlying data they represent, i.e. for a float, 'f', on a
>sparc (which you're on ;) i believe it's 4 bytes. A double, 'd',  is 8
>bytes.

Since I can't throw 2 byte Float into an array, thinking about manipulating
the two bytes into a 4 byte float by adding two bytes in the right places
for each value.  Will this work?  I've made a diagram below.

** **
** ** 2 byte float
** **
|   |
|   ---
|      |

** ** ** **
** ** ** **  4 byte float
    ^     ^
    |     |
   (added zero bytes)

---
Dale Bertrand
--------
email:  dale_bertrand@brown.edu
quote:  "I dislike forwards and silly quotes"