[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Re: Conversion

Konrad Hinsen hinsen@ibs.ibs.fr
Wed, 2 Apr 1997 10:20:55 +0200

> I have a feeling that for orthogonality, conjugate() should have to be
> a built-in function (like abs()); and that there should be some other
> built-in function (angle()?) that returns ``the other polar
> coordinate'' so that (abs(z), angle(z)) are an alternate
> representation of z.  But you can tell that I'm not a complex number

Exactly! This would be the most obvious solution. Another possibility
would be to have conjugate() in cmath (which is part of the standard
distribution), for those who use complex numbers but not NumPy.
Konrad Hinsen                          | E-Mail: hinsen@ibs.ibs.fr
Laboratoire de Dynamique Moleculaire   | Tel.: +33-4.76.88.99.28
Institut de Biologie Structurale       | Fax:  +33-4.76.88.54.94
41, av. des Martyrs                    | Deutsch/Esperanto/English/
38027 Grenoble Cedex 1, France         | Nederlands/Francais