[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] 1.0a4

Rob.Hooft@embl-heidelberg.de Rob.Hooft@embl-heidelberg.de
Mon, 30 Sep 1996 21:58:04 +0200 (MET DST)

I finally got around to compiling 1.0a4 this weekend. Seems to work
fine so far, but I have one note on the installation: ".c" files
of 600kB each take gcc quite a while to compile. The memory usage
for the compiler ran up to 65MB.... It might be better to cut these
files into smaller pieces.

And Jim: I have not made any big applications for NumPy yet, but I
regularly use it as part of my desk-calculator.  Now that the standard
numeric fortran libraries are available as standard modules from
python, NumPy will enable me to use top-quality algorithms for quick
hacks.  I definitely think the project is a big success. Getting the
abstractions right always takes longer than one thinks, certainly when
targeting such a diverse group of users as NumPy is doing!

Rob.
--
=== Rob.Hooft@EMBL-Heidelberg.DE   http://www.Sander.EMBL-Heidelberg.DE/rob/ ==
==== In need of protein modeling?  http://www.Sander.EMBL-Heidelberg.DE/whatif/