[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Plea for help! (ASAP)

Jim Hugunin hugunin@mit.edu
Sun, 29 Sep 1996 14:56:04 -0400

I'd like to ask for help from everyone on this list who has used/is using
Numeric Python and has found it useful to them.  I'm taking my Oral
Qualifying Exam here at MIT on Wednesday, October 2nd (yes, in three days).
 I gave my practice talk on Friday and the one huge complaint I received
was that I didn't make it clear if the project was a success or not.  This
is a serious enough problem it might lead to my failing this exam, which
would leave me looking for a real job where they weren't so friendly about
my spending substantial amounts of time working on free software.

I think that there are a number of you out there who would consider this
work a success (I know you're still waiting for the beta 1 release, but one
problem at a time please).  I want to collect a list of short quotes from
people saying how this project has been useful to them.

I know that one is not supposed to ask for this sort of praise, but I'm
feeling a little bit desperate at the moment.  Just look at this as a weird
variation on shareware fees.  Instead of $50 for using NumPy, I'm asking
you to write a very short testimonial.

I apologize for my brashness, and as usual, thanks for your time - Jim

PS - Here's the sort of quote I'd give for myself:

"NumPy made it possible for me to build a far more flexible and powerful
speech recognition research system than would have been possible using any
other framework I've seen."
Jim Hugunin - Research Associate - MIT Laboratory for Compiuter Science
(the most impressive form of my title)