[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] NumPy 1.0a3

tim@lassi.ece.uiuc.edu tim@lassi.ece.uiuc.edu
Mon, 16 Sep 1996 16:37:53 -0500

Some questions/comments on umath vs. fast_umath:

1) Is the use of umath vs. fast_umath going to affect the packages,
e.g. LinearAlgebra, or can they be assumed to take care of themselves?
More concretely, if I write:

import Numeric
<Magic incantation to select umath or fast_umath>
LA = Numeric.LinearAlgebra

Is my choice of umath or fast_umath going to percolate down to
LinearAlgebra?  I would guess that LinearAlgebra should be able to
decide for itself if it should run safe or fast. And, if necessary
expose the choice through something like LA.playSafe() or
LA.runWithScissors() (I mean LA.runFast(), sorry ;).

If my choice does NOT affect the packages, the why not substitute
'Fast' and 'Safe' for 'Core'. This way there would be no default - so
we'd all automatically agree, and it would always be obvious whether
you were using the fast or the safe routines.

2) I forget what I was going to say here... Sorry

--
	-tim

| Tim Hochberg               Ultrahigh Speed Digital Electronics Lab |
| tim@lassi.ece.uiuc.edu              University of Illinois         |
| http://dogbert.ece.uiuc.edu/~tim         (217) 333-6014            |