[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Alpha3 Available

Jim Hugunin hugunin@mit.edu
Fri, 13 Sep 1996 17:00:13 -0400

Wonder of wonders, the next release is out (On a Friday afternoon as
usual).

Major additions:

Linear Algebra, Random Number, FFT modules now provided with portable C
implementations and the option of linking with highly optimized FORTRAN
libraries if available.

Major incompatible changes:

sort, argmax, and their ilk now have a default axis of -1 (once again and
forever)
Numeric is now a python package.  To use it you must do "import ni,
Numeric".
If enough people complain, this might be changed before the beta release.

I view this release as complete.  Other than packages, I have no intention
of either making incompatible changes or adding any substantial new
features.  It's time to concentrate on debugging, documentation
(volunteers?) and getting this out to the rest of the list.

I want to get a handle on how many people are testing this out, so if you
make it on your system please send me email (hugunin@mit.edu).  I'd also
appreciate it if you'd run test/test_all.py and let me know how that works.
 As usual, bug reports are greatly appreciated.

The source distribution is in:

ftp://ftp.sls.lcs.mit.edu/pub/jjh/NumPy-1.0a3.tar.gz

Read the file INSTALL for instructions on building this version.

For WinNT/95 users, there is a binary distribution available:

ftp://ftp.sls.lcs.mit.edu/pub/jjh/numpy.zip

You should have the latest version of pythonwin (pythonwin-10-b3.exe)
installed to use this.  Unpack the zipped file using a version of unzip
that can handle long file names (like unzip) in the toplevel Python
directory created when you install pythonwin.  You must use the "-d" option
to preserve the directory structure when you unzip.  Also, you must add the
NumPy directory to your PYTHONPATH registry entry.