[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Default Axes revisited

Ken Manheimer klm@CNRI.Reston.Va.US
Wed, 4 Sep 1996 11:46:06 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 4 Sep 1996 tim@lassi.ece.uiuc.edu wrote:

> Someone who is Not Attributed wrote:
> >I assume that the new proposal would be to put all of these in seperate
> >modules?  What would you name these three modules (or would you combine
> >some of them together?)
>
> If it were up to me, I would probably lump the numeric and indepenant
> functions together.  If there were two modules, Numerical and
> Structural, it could be aranged so that "import Numeric" grabs them
> both. So, if Numeric.py was just "import Structural, Numerical". Then
> "from Numeric import Structural, Numerical" would be nice and clear.

I'd like to point out that 'Structural' is too general a name to put in
the top-level Python module space.  'Structural' could refer to any
number of things - general datastructure mutators, building-architecture
utilities, post-neo-moderne-classical sculpture visualization tools, i
dunno.  One option, which michael mclay mentioned, is to put the whole
shebang in a package, using 'ni'.  I think this is just the sort of
thing for which ni is intended, particularly in guido's design.

If i was to do that, i'd look for short names for the submodules, eg
'Num', 'Struct', etc.

This whole idea presumes that it's a good idea to segregate the
structural and non-structural routines - i'm a non-matrix-savvy lurker,
not informed enough to have a clue on that...-)  In particular, i don't
know whether you'd encounter problems segregating, eg, the contents of
an 'fft' module into the structural and non-structural categories.

Ken Manheimer		klm@cnri.reston.va.us	    703 620-8990 x268
	    (orporation for National Research |nitiatives

	# If you appreciate Python, consider joining the PSA! #
		  # <http://www.python.org/psa/>. #