[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Data analysis package question

James Boyle boyle@cobra.llnl.gov
Thu, 31 Oct 96 09:15:41 PST

I have been exploring the possibilities of data analysis using
Yorick and Python.
It would seem that one could construct a
rather powerful, flexible package from the following tools:

Python 1.4 or later?
NumPY - Numerical Python extension 1.? - CRUNCH
NetCDF - extension/with dependence on NumPy - I/O
GIST - extension /with dependence on NumPY - GRAPHICS
Tkinter - GUI (if one is so inclined)

The only reason that I am hesitating to really get underway, is
that at this point NumPy is a moving target. As seen above, NumPy
is a critical path for all this to succeed.
My point is ( and I do have one) that there needs to be some coordination
among the components of the system outlined above. I don't mean that everyone
proceeds in lockstep, I think that all that is required is that each author of
the components states clearly what the compatibility requirements are for each
release and that previously released versions are kept available so that at
any given time there is a complete, compatible set that can be built. Maybe
some higher level documentation on how all the components can be harmoniously
put together could be written.
>From my monitoring of this group I don't think that I am at all unique. Maybe
a sub-group could be formed for clearing up the details for integration of
the above system when the NumPy beta or final is released.

Jim