[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Last complaints about NumPy 1.0a5

Guido van Rossum guido@CNRI.Reston.Va.US
Thu, 24 Oct 1996 08:56:17 -0400

>  What about some kind of hint mechanisms, like "search() vs.
> search(SORTED)" or something more elegant.

Just a general out of context remark: I'm becoming less and less fond
of functions that take optional enum or flag arguments to modify their
behavior.  In practice, 100% of the calls give a constant for the flag
(unless you are writing a wrapper around the function, like an
extension method).

While search(SORTED) looks slightly better than search(1), of we're
going to type that much, I'd much prefer search_sorted().

Just an opinion...