[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Last complaints about NumPy 1.0a5

Konrad Hinsen hinsen@ibs.ibs.fr
Thu, 24 Oct 96 10:46:00 +0100

> I find that almost everybody I've explained it to understands the where
> function.  For some reason the increased generality of choose is confusing
> to many people.  So I plan on leaving the where function in.  It serves the
> same purpose as sum == add.reduce and similar convenient abbreviations.

Then at least make where = choose. Right now they do almost the same
thing with slightly different parameter lists.

> > 2) compress() is just a special case of repeat() and should be
> >    eliminated.
>
> Similarly for compress, the main addition is that it makes sure the
> arguments are either zero or one before doing the repeat operation and this
> is just a lot easier for some people to understand.

But again, at least the parameter lists should be constructed in the same
way.

> I think you're right about this one.  If you were to give me a better
> implementation of diagonal that works as you describe I'd be happy to use
> it.  (Although I do think that the proper choice of arguments for the nd
> case is a tuple of two OR MORE integers specifying the axes along which to
> take the diagonal).

That also makes sense for some applications, and is certainly more
general. However, I don't see a way to implement that efficiently
right away...

> In case you haven't noticed as we've worked on this for the past year, for
> some reason I really dislike any generalizations I've seen of the
> innerproduct.  This is the basic reason why the is no "inner" method on

If you dislike them you don't have to use them ;-)

> ufuncs.  I'm personally quite happy with how things are currently defined
> now, and for all of my matrixmultiply-like tasks, I find dot is the way I
> think about the world.

I'd love to see a single example where dot() as it is makes sense.
I *always* have to reshuffle axes before calling dot().

> PS - I somehow doubt that these are truly your last complaints, not that
> I'd want it any other way ;-)

I suppose you are right ;-)

Konrad.
Konrad Hinsen                          | E-Mail: hinsen@ibs.ibs.fr
Laboratoire de Dynamique Moleculaire   | Tel.: +33-76.88.99.28
Institut de Biologie Structurale       | Fax:  +33-76.88.54.94
41, av. des Martyrs                    | Deutsch/Esperanto/English/
38027 Grenoble Cedex 1, France         | Nederlands/Francais