[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Re: NumPy in Python 1.4

Jim Hugunin hugunin@mit.edu
Tue, 22 Oct 1996 14:19:50 -0400

> 1) Makefile.in (in top level), needs to have Numeric added to the list
>    of things to install.  Search for "tkinter", add Numeric next to
>    it.

Did you make the symbolic link from Numeric into the Lib directory?  I
think that this should fix the problem, but if it doesn't I'll add the note
(and a patched version of Makefile.in).

> 2) Setup needs more than what is shown.  It is also extremely helpful
>    to add something like NUMPYPATH to the search path, as is done for
>    TKPATH.

I agree the path is needed, anything else?

> 3) The headers also need to be installed.  Softlinking them directly
>    into Include should do it.

I usually just directly add NumPy to my include directories, I need to
think about this one.

> And as a relatively minor point,
>
> 4) The files still have wacky permission bits.  The x bit is on all
>    over the place, for instance.  Although this is not "wrong", it is
>    certainly worth fixing.

When you're building a system on both Solaris and Windows NT, strange
things can happen to your files.  Just be glad that this time I remembered
to strip the "^M"'s from the Unix distribution.  ;-)

-Jim