[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Final (hopefully) alpha release available

Jim Hugunin hugunin@mit.edu
Fri, 18 Oct 1996 18:42:10 -0400

Time for one of my usual Friday releases.

I've just put together the alpha5 release and also threw together a web
page in preparation for a soon to be public release of NumPy.  I think that
most of the major issues are straightened out now and my main concern is to
beat on this a little bit for stability and to make sure it works on as
many platforms as possible (and also for David Ascher to find the time to
update his tutorial).

So, please pick this release up and give it a try.  I'm particularly
interested in what platforms it does/does not compile on as well as any
tips for building it on "difficult" platforms.

This is also your last chance to make any major design changes to the
system.  If there's something about how NumPy works that you really don't
like, speak up now while I'm still willing to sacrifice backward
compatibility.  I have a farily extensive set of tools built using this
stuff (as I'm sure others do) and I don't want to rebuild it all ever again
;-)

You can get this latest distribution at:

http://www.sls.lcs.mit.edu/~jjh/numpy/download.html

Yes, I've finally moved up in the world from ftp to http ;-)

This site contains a source distribution that should work just about
anywhere, and a binary distribution for Windows NT/95 (untested).

As usual, if you get this please let me know what platforms you succeed or
fail to compile this on.

Enjoy - Jim

Major Changes from alpha4

No more packages (I think ni is a great idea who's time has not yet
come...)
umath is now the default math library.  If you REALLY want speed, do "from
fast_umath import *"
determinant is spelled and implemented correctly