[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Ellipses -> Ellipsis

Jim Hugunin hugunin@mit.edu
Tue, 15 Oct 1996 14:22:30 -0400

> As Ka-Ping Yee mentioned, "Ellipses" should have been "Ellipsis".
>
> I'm making this change for the final 1.4 release (scheduled for Oct 25).
> I plan to leave two backward compatibility measures in: Python code can
> still use "Ellipses" as well as "Ellipsis", and C code can still use
> Py_Ellipses (or whatever it was).
>
> However, such backward compatibility measures tend to stop people from
> actually fixing their code.  How much would the NumPy community be
> inconvenienced if I simply removed all references to Ellipses?

I'd personally strongly prefer it if you did NOT maintain backward
compatibility.  I've been warning people on the SIG all along that
successive versions of NumPy are not in any way guaranteed to be backward
compatible until I announce a beta1 release (which will be after the final
release of Python1.4).

So, I'd say get it right now before Ellipses becomes part of a "final"
release and you become obligated to support it forever.  Besides, I expect
that there are very few NumPy users other than myself who actually use
"Ellipses" in their code (as opposed to "...").

-Jim