[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] compile problems

Jim Hugunin hugunin@mit.edu
Thu, 3 Oct 1996 13:11:15 -0400

> I tried to compile NumPy 1.0a4 with Python 1.3 and got a lot of error
messages
> (see below). To me it looks like you are assuming Python 1.4, maybe?
> Since for some reason I can't get Python 1.4 to compile on my alpha+osf1
> machine: is there a working version that compiles with Python 1.3? Or am
> I missing something else?

NumPy1.0a4 will only work with Python1.4.  There are a number of small
changes that have been made to Python 1.4 in order to support NumPy (and
similar extensions), and I take full advantage of them.  NumPy0.36 is the
last version that works with Python1.3.

I have had no problem building Python1.4 on my alpha/osf machine using gcc.
 I'd reccommend going that route for now until the official release of 1.4
(which knowing Guido will compilke out of the box just about everywhere).

-Jim