[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Calling all extensions...

Doug Heisterkamp drh@cse.unl.edu
Fri, 1 Nov 1996 12:31:32 -0600 (CST)

> I'll be giving a talk at the Python Workshop on Monday.  One of the
> things I'll be spending a couple of minutes on because Jim can't go is a
> status report of the Numeric extensions.  If you'd like me to mention that
> you're working on a specific extension, please let me know ASAP.  The
> ones I have on my overhead as of now are: LAPACK, FFTPACK, RANLIB,
> NetCDF, PLPLOT, OpenGL, GIST (although the Gist extension is the subject
> of its own presentation by its authors) and Konrad's extensions.
> Anything else that should be mentioned?

I have a low-level access module to ODRPACK.  One thing to note is that I
have it setup so I can use Python, C, or Fortran functions in ODRPACK. I'm
in the process of generalizing this into a separate module so I can use it
with other libraries.  I will put it up for ftp soon (probably sometime
next week).  ODRPACK itself is available from netlib.

Doug Heisterkamp
drh@cse.unl.edu

PS: A short blurb on ODRPACK from it's readme file:

 *** INTRODUCTION

 ODRPACK is a portable collection of Fortran subprograms for fitting a model to
 data.  It is designed primarily for instances when the explanatory as well as
 the response variables have significant errors, implementing a highly
 efficient algorithm for solving the weighted orthogonal distance regression
 problem, i.e., for minimizing the sum of the squares of the weighted
 orthogonal distances between each data point and the curve described by the
 model equation.  It can also be used to solve the ordinary least squares
 problem where all of the errors are attributed to the observations of the
 dependent variable.  File CHANGES identifies how the current version of
 ODRPACK differs from earlier releases.