[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Data analysis package question

Phil Austin phil@geog.ubc.ca
Thu, 31 Oct 1996 18:22:24 -0800 (PST)

    GF> The PLplot module supports output to a Tk graphics widget
    GF> (among a multitude of other output drivers), which can be
    GF> trivially integrated into Python/Tk, and we have that in
    GF> operation here at LLNL now.  There is also the beginnings of a
    GF> Python/Tk "megawidget" for the plframe graphics widget, which
    GF> provides a variety of conveniences for scientific plotting,
    GF> including saving to a any of a variety of supported graphics
    GF> formats (including postscript and ppm), as well as
    GF> manipulation of the plot orientation, printing the currently
    GF> visible view.  etc.  There is also a binding available for
    GF> zoom support, and "zoom frame list walking", with panning.

This is great news.  One of my own projects will be positioning Python
as a Matlab replacement for the 7000 undergrads in our faculty of
science.  Being able to do graphics under Windows95 is a major
prerequisite for this.

My other hope is that the door is still open on the future addtion of
Splus-style syntactic sugar allowing subscripts that are array masks.
One sure way to impress a new user in Splus is to show them how to
histogram part of a 3-d array with:

hist(array[array > 40. & array < 50.])

I can also commit to providing on-going documentation and support for
the netcdf module in conjunction with Bill Noon.

Phil Austin		INTERNET: phil@geog.ubc.ca
(604) 822-2175		FAX:	  (604) 822-6150

http://www.geog.ubc.ca/~phil
Associate Professor