[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] pickle error on Win95

Konrad HINSEN hinsenk@ere.umontreal.ca
Thu, 21 Mar 1996 11:24:09 -0500

> None. This makes sense, but in this case I really miss a special object
> representing an empty array, like [] or () for an empty list or tuple.
> Matlab introduces [] for that, and it is very extensively used there.

array() should accept empty lists in its arguments. Then array([])
would be a rank-1 array of length zero, array([[],[]]) a rank-2 array
of shape (2,0) and so on.  A single "empty array" does not make sense,
since there can be many empty arrays that differ in shape.  Matlab can
get away with that because its matrix concept is much more limited.

Konrad Hinsen                     | E-Mail: hinsenk@ere.umontreal.ca
Departement de chimie             | Tel.: +1-514-343-6111 ext. 3953
Universite de Montreal            | Fax:  +1-514-343-7586
C.P. 6128, succ. Centre-Ville     | Deutsch/Esperanto/English/Nederlands/
Montreal (QC) H3C 3J7             | Francais (phase experimentale)