[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Functions and names

Paul. Dubois dubois1@llnl.gov
Thu, 07 Mar 1996 13:39:28 -0800

I finally got time to take a look at Konrad's memo about functions
and names for the matrix class. I have no objection to it.
Except, I still want to be able to distinguish those actions which
modify self and those which return a new array, so that
x.reshape(s) modifies x, (or else the only way to do it is assignment
to x.shape)
x.shaped(s) returns some new value.

Likewise with transpose. In short, if the name is or is most likely to
be interpreted as an imperative verb, it means that self is modified,
and no value is returned.
--
Paul F. Dubois, L-472				(510)-422-5426
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory		FAX (510)-423-9969