[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Pseudo Indices

James Hugunin jjh@Goldilocks.LCS.MIT.EDU
Tue, 30 Jan 96 15:26:30 EST

   From: hinsenk@ERE.UMontreal.CA (Hinsen Konrad)

      > c[:, 1:2] --> c[Slice(), Slice(1,2)]

      This is fine (and what I thought you were proposing all the time).  I
      would consider a patch if the existing 1-dim sequence and mapping
      types are not affected.

   What do you mean by "not affected"? That their semantics stays
   the same (no problem) or that their implementation needn't
   be changed? I am not sure the latter is possible for C-types.

Chris Chase actually has a prototype implementation that doesn't alter
the implementation for C types.  Basically it special cases these calls.

      > a[RubberIndex, 3].

      You could sneak this into the abovementioned patch as "a[::, 3]".

   I like that idea...

   If I had enough time, I'd look at this, but that might not happen
   for a while. Any other volunteers?

Again, Chris Chase has a good starting point for an implementation of
this.  I'll probably polish it up myself (unless I can talk him into
spending some more time on it) and add it to the NumericPython
distribution for testing.

-Jim