[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] NumericPython-0.32.tar.gz (Europe) + PDE Proposal

Jim Fulton, U.S. Geological Survey jfulton@usgs.gov
Mon, 29 Jan 1996 19:19:25 -0500

On Jan 30, 12:30am, Thomas Schwaller wrote:
> Subject: [PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] NumericPython-0.32.tar.gz (Europe) + PDE Prop
> Yeah. I'm still there...
> For people in Europe:
> You can fetch the matrixmodule at
> ftp://ftp.appl-math.tu-muenchen.de/pub/et/NumericPython-0.32.tar.gz
>
> I was quite happy not to get it more than once (takes really very long).
>
> By the way. Is FDL (or FIDL ?) working with the latest matrixmodule.
> (This is rally a question for Jim Fulton ! ;-))

Not yet.  I've been waiting for the matrix implementation to settle down.
I still have to jump through some hoops before I can release FIDL.

> Or asked the other way: is there some work done binding the usual FORTRAN
> Libraries (*PACK) to this extension? (To get the state of Matlab, SciLab,
> Octave).
>
> Well, let's look one step further. After several experiences with integrating
> C++ classes in Python, I'm not that enthousiastic anymore about this
approach.
> One year earlier I would have tried to do it with Diffpack (C++ classes for
> the solution of PDE, which ist one of the best public packages for that
> purpose if you like C++). But some native Python Module for that purpose
> would be much more efficient, now that we have a common base for matrix
> extensions.

My a "native Python module", do you mean a module written in Python, using the
matrix extension?  Or do you mean a custom built extension?

In what way would this approach be more efficient?

A tool like FIDL allows you to reuse existing libraries with minimal effort.  A
FIDL spec for a routine typically only requires a line or two, not counting
comments.

Jim