[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Type coercion two more times

Perry A. Stoll stoll@atr-sw.atr.co.jp
Sat, 27 Jan 1996 01:21:57 +0900

   You seem to imply that the additional types will be used only by
   people in group 2.

I had been implicitly assuming that. I was basing this on the
precendent set by Python numerical types.

   Therefore I consider Jim's first proposal (no coercion between
   float and double) still the best: those who want both precisions
   and do everything correctly get what they want, and those who
   make a mistake or have misunderstood the rules get an exception.

Ok, I'm starting to be convinced. My last hurdle to saying yes is
having to explain the following to potential Python array users:
>>> pi = omath.arctan(1.0)*4.0
>>> m = Array_f([1.0,2.0,3.0])
>>> m * pi
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
TypeError: inconsistant floating point types

-Perry