[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Two weeks' experience

Konrad HINSEN hinsenk@ere.umontreal.ca
Mon, 26 Feb 1996 16:09:38 -0500

   3) fromFunction was only written to prove to Tom Schwaller that it
   could be done.  It is in fact very useful in it's current form.  I
   have made every efort to avoid having to loop over python functions in
   the array code as this is ridiculously slow.  If you want these
   functions they can always be easily written in python.

Of course, but something straightforward should be in the
standard function set. The reason why I think the current
fromFunction() is not so important is that it can easily
be replaced:
  fromFunction([1,2], f)
is the same as
  apply(f, indices(1,2))

   I really feel that once this gets released beyond this list it's going
   to get difficult to make the kinds of major changes that Konrad is
   advocating, so I'm reluctant to go forward on a public alpha release
   until these issues are at least somewhat resolved.

Of course it would be necessary to warn people that things are
going to change. It would even make sense to include a list of
proposals and ask for comments.

Konrad Hinsen                     | E-Mail: hinsenk@ere.umontreal.ca
Departement de chimie             | Tel.: +1-514-343-6111 ext. 3953
Universite de Montreal            | Fax:  +1-514-343-7586
C.P. 6128, succ. Centre-Ville     | Deutsch/Esperanto/English/Nederlands/
Montreal (QC) H3C 3J7             | Francais (phase experimentale)