[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] New pretty printer

Konrad HINSEN hinsenk@ere.umontreal.ca
Wed, 7 Feb 1996 16:46:08 -0500

   > OK. Then it makes sense to add another parameter for printing
   > precision and use it also for scalars.

   I'd rather see precision handled as an array attribute.

But it isn't. If precision were an attribute of an object, you would
expect arithmetic etc. to respect it. But what we are discussing is
just a matter of output formatting. To be consistent, you would
also have to require that the radix for integer output be a
property of an object, creating separate types for decimal and
hex numbers.

If precision were an attribute, we would also have to decide what the
precision of the result of an array operation is. This just doesn't
make sense.

Konrad Hinsen                     | E-Mail: hinsenk@ere.umontreal.ca
Departement de chimie             | Tel.: +1-514-343-6111 ext. 3953
Universite de Montreal            | Fax:  +1-514-343-7586
C.P. 6128, succ. Centre-Ville     | Deutsch/Esperanto/English/Nederlands/
Montreal (QC) H3C 3J7             | Francais (phase experimentale)