[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] New pretty printer

Konrad HINSEN hinsenk@ere.umontreal.ca
Mon, 5 Feb 1996 19:11:50 -0500

   I didn't look yet at how you did it but perhaps a user-settable
   precision could be managed. I have done that in both Basis and

Just implemented :-) The problem with both this and the line width is
that there is no convenient way to set them when simply printing
arrays.  Right now, you have to call the function arrayToString()
explicitly with additional parameters. I could of course define global
variables in module Numeric to handle this, but I am not sure whether
that is a good idea. Maybe a good compromise is optional parameters
that are set from global variables if undefined.  Comments?

   EiffelMath. Guido is right about the timing too; if there are enough
   components that you have to worry about the timing to print it, nobody
   is going to print it anyway or look at it if they do.

I tend to agree, especially since you can always interrupt the output,
as long as the function is written in Python.

   One thing I did in Basis was an optional "compression" that compressed
   identical rows (or strings of identical elements in 1-D).

That could indeed be useful, and not too complicated to implement.
Another option...

Konrad Hinsen                     | E-Mail: hinsenk@ere.umontreal.ca
Departement de chimie             | Tel.: +1-514-343-6111 ext. 3953
Universite de Montreal            | Fax:  +1-514-343-7586
C.P. 6128, succ. Centre-Ville     | Deutsch/Esperanto/English/Nederlands/
Montreal (QC) H3C 3J7             | Francais (phase experimentale)