[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Some thoughts on default axes.

Janne Sinkkonen janne@avocado.pc.helsinki.fi
22 Aug 1996 11:02:53 +0300

tim@lassi.ece.uiuc.edu writes:

> Opinions?

Here is a related idea: the default axis could be (could it be
technically and easily? i'm somewhat new to python) an attribute of
the functions, so one could write:

	fft.default_axis=-1

or

	for f in Numeric.ufuncs: f.default_axis=-1

Code reability would suffer badly, of course. I don't know whether
this is a good idea or not, it just came to my mind.

On the long run, the only sensible solution is to add some information
about the semantics of the axes to the objects (arrays) themselves.

--
Janne Sinkkonen      <janne@iki.fi>      <URL: http://www.iki.fi/~janne/ >