[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Don't use max and min with Numeric Python!

Jim Hugunin hugunin@mit.edu
Sun, 18 Aug 1996 13:10:57 -0400

Carlos Fonseca wrote:

> The other bug reported by Jean-Bernard ADDOR is also there:

> 0 1 2 3 4
> 3

This is not a bug!  This is an unfortunate design decision in the python
interpreter, but there's nothing I can do about it.

What you usually think of as max should be writen maximum under Numeric
Python.  I'm sure that this will trip up a lot of people, but I don't
have a good solution to this until Guido adds the ability to use
exceptions with comparision operations.

I guess I could override these builtin functions if you do from Numeric
import *, but that doesn't seem like good behavior.

Repeat: use maximum and minimum instead of max and min with array
objects.

-Jim