[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] sum() in 1.0a2

Jim Hugunin hugunin@mit.edu
Sun, 18 Aug 1996 11:27:49 -0400

Carlos Fonseca wrote:

> I think sum(a) (and other reductions) should return an array with shape ()
> when a is 1d, and not a scalar.  Currently, sum(a).anyarraymethod and
> sum(a)[0] will fail if a is 1d.

Sorry about this, but there has already been much discussion of this
issue and the agreement was that array functions that returns 0d arrays
should return python scalars.  I agree that this can occasionally be
confusing, but I think that our conclusion when we last discussed this
was sound (look at the archives if you're feeling brave).

-Jim