[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Numerical P. in standard dist.?

Dennis C. De Mars demars@netcom.com
Mon, 22 Apr 1996 09:15:33 -0700

>One of the important things with Python
>is the excellent portability. Now, Numerical python
>at sls-ftp.lcs.mit.edu is a Unix-variant, which
>is natural, seeing as mot numerical work is done
>on workstations. Unfortunately I do a lot of developing
>on a Mac, which raises the following question:
>has it been decided when and if Numerical Python will be
>a part of the standard distribution? What timespan is
>to be expected?

I would guess that the folks who are doing this work are not going to put
it into the standard distribuition until it is ready for release; right now
Numerical Python is still a work in progress. (However, if there is a
target date for putting this stuff into the standard distribution, I'd like
to hear it too!)

However, there is nothing to stop you from taking the standard distribution
source (which include Mac build files) and the source for Numerical Python
and creating your own build. That's what I did. BTW, the Mac version itself
is in a state of flux due to changes to support Tk and Mac native system
calls. However, I expect this to settle down soon and it should be possible
to create a "grand unified" Mac build that supports Numerical Python _and_
Tk.

- Dennis D.