[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] J-style arrays in Python

Hinsen Konrad hinsenk@ere.umontreal.ca
Wed, 27 Sep 1995 09:35:32 -0400

   Please keep in mind that:

     - If there is a standard matrix class, it will be implemented in C,
       for performance reasons,

I hope so!

     - Much of the base implementation was dictated by the *stated* goal
       that the implementation should hold the data in an homogenous and
       contingous block of data suitable for passing directly to existing
       Fortran and C libraries.

Actually I can't think of any reason not to keep the data in a
continous block...

   > Some general remarks:
   >
   > - Since my implementation uses nested lists to represent arrays,
   >   the elements can be arbitrary objects.

   Which violates one of the basic goals of this effort.  I realize that
   you may not agree with the goal, but this was clearly stated in the
   announcement for *this* SIG.

I do not disagree with that goal at all; in fact I seriously
considered adding type checking (or rather consistency checking) to my
Python implementation. But it would have slowed down everything
without producing much of an advantage (I assume no one will produce
mixed arrays by accident), so I left it out.

Again, I do not claim in the least that any future array module
should resemble my implementation in any respect. On the contrary,
I expect that both could be used in parallel for different
applications. I started writing this because I had a need for
flexible (but small) arrays, and then polished it up a bit to
make it usable as a demonstration for people in this SIG.

   Gee.  I would miss element assignment.

Really? I realize that element assignment is necessary to implement
many of the standard linear algebra algorithms, but these would be
implemented in C/Fortran/whatever anyway.  I have never missed element
assignment in J; in fact, I only noticed its absence while working on
my Python implementation!

   This brings up a good point.  I think that whatever we come up with
   should adhere to the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) rule as much as
   possible.  I'm in favor of a fairly lean matrix module with auxilary
   modules to provide support for specific application areas.

So am I. But we must make sure that the auxiliary modules can
be used together conveniently. For example, the function names
should be distinct, to make it possible to import them all into
a single namespace (important for calculator-style use).

Konrad Hinsen                     | E-Mail: hinsenk@ere.umontreal.ca
Departement de chimie             | Tel.: +1-514-343-6111 ext. 3953
Universite de Montreal            | Fax:  +1-514-343-7586
C.P. 6128, succ. A                | Deutsch/Esperanto/English/Nederlands/
Montreal (QC) H3C 3J7             | Francais (phase experimentale)