[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Let's get going

Hinsen Konrad hinsenk@ere.umontreal.ca
Wed, 13 Sep 1995 14:28:26 -0400

   > Why would it have to be copied whenever it is passed to a function?
   > It would be sufficient to make a copy whenever the matrix is
   > changed.

   This gets back to my earlier comment that slices, as proposed cannot
   be matrices because they store a reference to the data from which they
   were created and a bunch of offsets for accessing the orinal data
   properly.  When passed to math/sci libraries, they'll have to be
   converted to real matrices so that their data are contiguous.

I see. "Function" means "function in an external library", not
"Python function" as I had assumed.

BTW, there is a good book called "Scientific and Engineering C++"
that appeared recently, unfortunately I don't remember the names
of the authors (but I can check at home). It contains a
very good discussion of how a matrix class in C++ could be
designed, and this covers many of the topics we are discussing
here. Unfortunately they treat only one- and two-dimensional
matrices.

Konrad Hinsen                     | E-Mail: hinsenk@ere.umontreal.ca
Departement de chimie             | Tel.: +1-514-343-6111 ext. 3953
Universite de Montreal            | Fax:  +1-514-343-7586
C.P. 6128, succ. A                | Deutsch/Esperanto/English/Nederlands/
Montreal (QC) H3C 3J7             | Francais (phase experimentale)