[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] a few thoughts

Hinsen Konrad hinsenk@ere.umontreal.ca
Thu, 19 Oct 1995 18:08:31 -0400

   1. How fervently are people opposed to splitting the array/tensors in
      terms of element type?  One array for any python object, and one for
      numbers, all of the same type (one type per array).  The two array
      types could have the same interface, but one could use the uniformity
      of its elements' types for optimization.

Isn't that what Guido already proposed? I see nothing that speaks
agains that. The implementation of "general" arrays wouldn't
even be much different from the others; a general array would
simply be an array of object pointers. Only the application
of non-structural functions and operators has be handled differently.

   2. Am I right that this dichotomy would allow massive optimization?

Of what?

Konrad Hinsen                     | E-Mail: hinsenk@ere.umontreal.ca
Departement de chimie             | Tel.: +1-514-343-6111 ext. 3953
Universite de Montreal            | Fax:  +1-514-343-7586
C.P. 6128, succ. Centre-Ville     | Deutsch/Esperanto/English/Nederlands/
Montreal (QC) H3C 3J7             | Francais (phase experimentale)