[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Hello from LLNL

P. Dubois dubois@kristen.llnl.gov
Thu, 12 Oct 1995 16:26:42 +0800

Greetings,

I head the computer science effort at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
in X-Division, where we do plasma physics and the design of targets for
laser fusion experiments. We have many large numerical applications in
Fortran and are starting newer codes in C++ and Eiffel.

For the last ten years we have used a programmable applications shell for
Fortran which I wrote. This is reaching the end of its useful lifetime as
we move further and further away from the world for which it was designed,
the monolithic (one CPU, one process, one language = Fortran) large code.

I had been trying to design a replacement system for us but I found Python
already is very close to what I was designing (except it is better done
than I would have managed). We have decided that building on Python is
the way to go.

So, we'd like to know what is going on in the Matrix SIG, and other
items of interest to those of us who are numerically and graphically
intensive. We bring a big pile of experienced and eager manpower to the
table and hope we can give a hand to this effort.

I designed the EiffelMath numerical library for the Eiffel language, so
I have considerable experience in both numerical mathematics and
object-oriented technology. And of course having run my own extension
language for 10 years I and the members of my team can do things of a
compiler sort.  We have some special expertise in MPI and things parallel/
vector, too.

So: what do you have already? and how can we help?

A bunch of us will be there in December to get trained properly...
(My Fortran system is at http://www-phys.llnl.gov/X_Div/htdocs/basis.html)

Paul F. Dubois, L-472				(510)-422-5426
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory		FAX (510)-423-9969
Livermore, CA 94550				dubois1@llnl.gov
Consulting: PaulDubois@aol.com

Editor, Scientific Programming Department
Computers in Physics