[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Speed...cg...and more!

Hinsen Konrad hinsenk@ere.umontreal.ca
Mon, 13 Nov 1995 08:29:33 -0500

   1) The ofunc object is very interesting, but I miss a feature which I always
      missed also in the mathmodule.c of the Python distribution. When I want to
      use e.g. sin(a) of an not predefined type (the new math functions in
      Matrix just extend the standard ones by comples numbers, matrices,..)

I am working on a "general" math module that provides all the standard
functions for arbitrary objects. It calls functions from math for ints
and floats, functions from cmath for complex numbers, functions from
matrix for matrices, and looks for a method in all other objects.

Originally I wanted to do that in Python, but that turned out to
detetriorate performance drastically. The C module I am working on now
should have no noticeable overhead.

Konrad Hinsen                     | E-Mail: hinsenk@ere.umontreal.ca
Departement de chimie             | Tel.: +1-514-343-6111 ext. 3953
Universite de Montreal            | Fax:  +1-514-343-7586
C.P. 6128, succ. Centre-Ville     | Deutsch/Esperanto/English/Nederlands/
Montreal (QC) H3C 3J7             | Francais (phase experimentale)