[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Some notes on the matrix class

Guido van Rossum guido@CNRI.Reston.VA.US
Wed, 01 Nov 1995 15:31:19 -0500

> There has been a small amount of talk about the possibilty of having
> "boolean types" in addition to number, sequence, and mapping types that
> would support >, <, ==, etc.  After writing a lot of code with matrices, I
> feel that many things could be expressed a lot more elegantly if this was
> allowed.  Unfortunately, Guido appears to be skeptical of this proposal, so
> don't hold your breath.

Couldn't this be done by implementing a "numeric" type (at the C
level) that has a range of [0..1]?  It could have two objects...

Also, what exactly is the advantage of having a Boolean type?  (Am I
showing my age here? :-)

Re a**b for pow(a, b): yes, that's also an acceptable addition.

--Guido van Rossum <guido@CNRI.Reston.VA.US>